Send As SMS

ELF

Cast: Will Ferrell, James Caan, Zooey Deschanel...
Director: Jon Favreau
Writer: David Berenbaum



Review Date: 11/07/03
Written By: Clarkey
Rating: 6.5/10

THE PLOT:
As a baby, Buddy accidentally crawls into Santa’s bag. He is taken back to the North Pole and becomes an ‘oversized’ elf making toys. But when his adoptive father, “papa elf”, tells him that he is actually a human, he decides to go to New York City to find his real dad, played by James Caan.

THE REVIEW:
Was it funny? The first half was, but the second half was too focused on the usual saving of Santa and Christmas. But it all depends on whether or not you like Will Ferrell or not because most of the comedy is based solely around Buddy’s character. If you like Will Ferrell, then you’ll most likely love this movie. But if you don’t, well don’t waste your money. This movie is similar to School of Rock, (Jack Black will either make or break the movie for you, depending on how much you like him).

James Caan was perfectly cast as the ‘naughty’ Walter Hobbes, Buddy’s real dad and Zooey Deschanel provides some great eye candy, but unfortunately it’s a G rating, so we don’t get to see anything good, but still, she is smokin’. The rest of the cast is alright. The direction of Jon Favreau was good and the script was decent, though it’s been done before. A foreigner in New York City. At first it was hilarious, but now, it’s starting to lose its appeal. However, the movie does have its moments, like the Snowball fight, the “Fake” Santa fight and a scene that involves an awkward Buddy trying to ‘ask Jovie out’.

Don’t get me wrong I enjoyed this movie. I just didn’t love it, but didn’t hate it either. And it wasn’t disappointment or surprised because I knew that I would get my money’s worth because I love Will Ferrell. I also knew that it was going to another predictable Christmas movie aimed at the whole family, not just the kids. And I got what I expected.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home